Hiking Gear: Paracord Survival Bracelets

You see them every now, in all the sporting goods stores and even if Walmart. They come in a variety of colors and even with watches or some sort of dog tag engraved. And it seems everyone is wearing them, but ask the average person why they are wearing a paracord survival bracelet and you might get this answer; “I think they look cool.” (As a former youth pastor I’ve heard that line from students) It’s become a fashion trend, but ask the average person it’s purpose and other then as a watch they don’t know.

I have one that I wear, but you won’t always find me wearing it while sitting in a Starbuck’s or as a fashion statement. However, I will wear it while out hiking, backpacking or camping.

IMG_0283.238194615_stdParacord can withstand 550 pounds of pressure but is a lightweight cord. It is considered a useful survival tool that can be helpful when you need it. A paracord survival bracelet enables you to carry several feet of parachute cord easily, which can be used in an emergency. It is ideal for camping, boating, hunting, hiking, and much more. The cord can be used for anything requiring great strength & durability.

If you find yourself in a situation that you need to use it, you can unravel your paracord bracelet and use it. It’s that easy.

Here are some uses for your paracord bracelet:

Tying down a tent, Clothesline, Securing shelter, Starting a fire, Tourniquet, Marking a trail, Zipper pulls, Sewing fabric, Securing a makeshift arrow to a spear, Hanging food in a bear safe tree, Repairing a strap on a kayak , Setting up fish nets snares/traps, Fishing line, Repairing a backpack, Fastening a first aid bandage.

12 thoughts on “Hiking Gear: Paracord Survival Bracelets

• May 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Wow! They are everywhere and I’ve never even heard of them! Maybe they are new to the UK, want to get me one! Great post

• May 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Thanks! You can easily order them online and even have them custom made to whatever colors you like best (one or two color). Many hikers are having them made with a small compass attached to it giving a look like a watch. Which can come in handy. One hiking tip I give all the time is; pack a map and compass because technology does fail sometimes. The military were the ones that started making and using the paracord bracelets as an easy and lightweight way of carrying survival cord.

• May 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I don’t get it?

If the bracelet has several feet of cord, it’s way too short to bearbag your pack from a tree. It’s easy to mark a trail if you need to by building a cairn, or sticking a few sticks into the ground like pilings – either method means you don’t need to carry anything, you use materials you find nearby. Guying a tent doesn’t make sense to me, either; a lot of tents have reflective guylines, 2 mm reflective cord is cheap in 50 foot lengths, which lets you do the whole tent. In all the years I’ve been hiking and backpacking, I haven’t been in a situation where this could be useful.

That said, if you carry a rope, you might be able to use several feet of cord to make an emergency rappel anchor, in case you get lost and find yourself cliffed out.

• May 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I agree that some of the uses listed can be provided by other means. For example; marking trails, I have always used my surroundings and most tents provide enough guying line. As for me I see the bracelet as a survival item in the event an emergency causes me to be separated from my pack or supplies.

• May 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Also keep in mind; “Paracord can withstand 550 pounds of pressure but is a lightweight cord.” It’s strong stuff but light weight.

• May 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I saw that. 2 kN for a bracelet isn’t shabby at all, and it’s a great way to package it, so that it’s easy to have with you when/if you ever need it. I still mostly don’t get it, but that’s probably a failure of the imagination more than anything else. 😉

• May 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

For the most part it’s worn as a fashion trend by most outdoor enthusiasts. If nothing else you can get it made into a cool watch. 🙂

• March 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Don’t forget that each parachord string contains five or six stands that are easily removed from the casing. Each string and the casing alike are strong enough on their own to easily make a lean-to. I went to a 3 week aircrew survival course and we learned how to make a lean-to out of 1 single metre of parachord and still have plenty to spare to make snares in a pinch and/or turn your knife into a spear if you need to.

• March 25, 2014 at 5:56 AM

I’ve made several paranoid straps for my personal use when hiking. Great for strapping gear to my pack and plenty of cord for survival uses if need be.

• July 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Hey! I was JUSt thinking of you today – been a while. Because we were shopping for my FIRST HISTORIC camping trip next wknd. Can’t believe I found you. I was organizing some old likes and follows emails. You might chk out my recent posts on natural first aid remedies out of my apothecary. Looking around some more here….

• February 21, 2014 at 3:57 AM

These are quite easy to make for yourself. If you are intending to have it with you for emergencies, it is best to buy the correct paracord as they are not all created equal. Then you can make a few bracelets or key chains to put on gear as well – for a much cheaper price than buying them from a store. I enjoyed learning to make a custom – no clasp bracelet. It also enabled me to learn how to remake it after using it.

• February 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I’ve been making some recently. Made some custom ones as well.