What is recreational paddling? It’s casual paddling, in calm water such as ponds, flat water rivers, lakes, protected ocean bays and salt marshes. Many paddlers use recreational kayaks for fishing or photography. It’s a perfect way to learn how to kayak.
Recreational kayaks can accommodate from one to three paddlers: single (1), tandem (2) or tri yak (3). They typically:
- have larger cockpit openings to make entry and exiting easier
- are a wider width (or beam) for stability
- usually are less than 12 feet in length making them slower but lighter to lift
- have limited cargo capacity
- are made of rotomolded plastics that keep their cost around $300 – $800 (USD).
Recreational kayaks are the largest segment of the kayak market – why?
Because they’re a whole lot of fun!