One of our favorite breakfast camping recipes to make with our dutch oven pot is Sourdough French Toast. Perfect for a chilly morning. For more recipe ideas check out our Trail Cooking page.
½ Loaf Sourdough Bread
1 Cup Milk
¼ Cup Heavy Cream
⅔ Cup White Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
¼ Cup Flour
¼ Cup Brown Sugar
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
⅛ Teaspoon Salt
½ Stick Butter, cut into pieces
¾ cup powdered sugar
1.5 tablespoons milk (more if needed)
– Use tin foil to coat the dutch oven and coat with cooking spray.
– Tear bread into bite-size chunks and place evenly in the Dutch Oven.
– In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread.
– Cover with Dutch Oven Lid and put in cooler overnight.
– In a bag mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Drop the cut butter pieces into flour mixture. Use your hands to crumble up the butter and mixture in the bag.
– If you want the glaze, you can make it by mixing the 3 tbsps of milk into the powdered sugar
– When ready to bake take the Dutch Oven and bag out of cooler. Evenly sprinkle crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.