It’s no secret I like to hike and be outdoors. As I sit here writing, pause and look outside the sun is shining and the sky is bright blue and all I can think about it going for a hike.
You may not be the outdoorsy type and the thought of getting out and hiking conjures up images of bugs, snakes, bears, poison ivy, thorns … You get the idea. However getting outside does not mean becomingBear Grylls. It doesn’t mean climbing to the summit of Mt. Everest or blazing a trail through the Amazon jungle. Even though those do sound appealing to me.
Our world is moving faster everyday and all around I see people in a rush to get some where. Just the other day as I stopped at Starbuck’s before work and ordered my coffee there stood behind me three people ready to do the same. Each of them seemed in a hurry and was either on the phone talking to someone about work as they were on their way into work or thumbs jumping frantically texting, emailing or responding to a social media comment.
There comes a time when we need to disconnect from the world and spend time with Jesus. One of those ways is to get outside and enjoy His creation. Like I said you don’t have to be an avid hiker or backpacker but there are many ways to get outside.
Fun Ways to Get Outside
Ready to get out there? Here are seven easy ways to enjoy the benefits of nature!
- Make being outside a ritual. Go for a morning or evening walk every day. And if you have one, bring your pooch—outdoor exercise is good for Fido, too.
- Take vacations in beautiful places. For your next scheduled break, visit a state or national park or go to a beautiful beach.
- Find a trail. Whether hiking or biking is your speed, there are trails around the country for you to explore. Find one near you at trails.com.
- Sit outside. We’re always so on-the-go. The next time you need a break, try sitting outside quietly and just appreciate the natural beauty around you! Notice the scents, sights and sounds as you sit quietly and focus on the moment.
- Go to a local park. Ask others in your neighborhood which park is their favorite to visit. Then the next time the weather is good, trade your usual gym workout for an outdoor one!
- Commit to the outdoors, rain or shine. When you’re layered properly, you can enjoy the outdoors in any season, cold, wet or hot. Don’t forget about the fun and healthy outdoor activities available during the rainy or cold months—these are the times that we have even less outdoor interaction, but may be when we need it the most!
SCRIPTURE ON GOD’S GREAT OUTDOORS
- GENESIS 1:1 – In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
- PSALM 19:1 – The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
- PSALM 95:4-5 – In His hand are the depths of the earth,and the mountain peaks belong to Him. The sea is His, for He made it, and His hands formed the dry land.
- PSALM 102:25 – In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.
- ISAIAH 55:12 – ……the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
- ROMANS 1:20 – …..since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Take some time and get outside, you’ll be amazed at what God has to show you.